I’m not exaggerating when I say that using Hotmail in the year 2012 is just as self-degrading as:
- Picking your nose in public… and eating it.
- Stealing toys from small children.
- Licking the floor at a local dive bar.
But wait! Microsoft seems to have done the unthinkable and made Hotmail (now just called Outlook), dare I say, awesome? It doesn’t just look good. For the first time in ten years, it actually makes sense.
It’s not likely any Gmail user is going to run back to Hotmail upon first thought – but maybe they would after some pondering. If you dislike Gmail shoving its social media endeavours down your throat or the fact that they read your messages for targeted ads, perhaps Hotmail is in fact the right option for you. Hotmail won’t do that. And if you’re an Outlook user, you can switch over seamlessly. It also matches the look and feel of the Windows 8 phone. So, if that gadget was on your radar this might be a great reason to switch too.
Some of the great features you can expect include:
- The ability to link up with your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ accounts.
- Online chat via Facebook.
- It will automatically detect mass emails and store them in a separate folder for you.
- The freedom to sort your mail the way you see fit.
- The simple look of it. It’s kind of beautiful.
The new hotmail became available today. So if you hurry, you might actually snatch your real name. You know, without having to add random numbers and underscores. Go try it out!
Need to hear more? Gizmodo’s done an in-depth review.