While taste is varied among the names on your holiday shopping list, there is always a general consensus when it comes to hot items deemed covet-able by all. In the rapidly changing world of gadgetry, new devices seem to appear every year, filling voids we didn’t know existed. What are some of the top sellers this year? Here’s a roundup of what’s trending:
• Smartphones. Unsurprisingly, smartphones continue to be hot, with newer models by the likes of Samsung and others giving chase to the market once dominated exclusively by the iPhone. Which is not to say that the iPhone 5 still isn’t top of wish lists, just that Android phones are on many lists too.
• Tablets and e-Readers. Though e-Readers aren’t as hot as they were last Christmas, Amazon has still shipped upwards of 14-million Kindle Fires this year. The iPad mini is a hot alternative to last year’s iPad for its slightly lower price point.
• Cameras. Increasingly, smartphones are doing away with the need for point and shoot cameras. Instead, smartphone snappers are opting for add-ons like the Ollo Clip, that take their already decent photos to the next level. For the shutterbug in your life who wants a little more power without going to a huge dSLR, you can never go wrong with a Lumix.
• Unsurprisingly, Amazon reports that J.K. Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy was one of the top sellers for 2012, while The Third Wheel, (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 7), was one of the best selling kids books of the year.
• According to Forbes, the most popular toys of 2012 include Disney McStuffins Interactive Doll, the Crayola Light Designer and the Leap Frog Leap Pad 2. For reasons beyond comprehension, the Angry Birds Plush Toy is the bestselling toy for both Amazon and Toys R’ Us.
• Gift cards are popular again in 2012. Easy, uninspired, lovable!