If you’re just now planning your London Olympic holiday, you’re a bit late to the discount seat sale. But! You can still enjoy your time in The Big Smoke without breaking the bank. With a DIY attitude and a little bit of hustle, there are lots of ways to enjoy London for less. Here are a few:
1. Skip the Olympic activities and enjoy secondary venues where you’ll both experience the thrill of the event, as well as the life of the local crowd and the city. For the price of one Olympic event, you could buy a couple dozen pints at venues all over town.
3. Don’t buy any Olympicsabilia! It’s just expensive stuff you’ll have to lug home.
4. Remember that even if Olympics-y stuff is ridiculously pricey, the rest of London still offers amazing, free culture and entertainment. For example, London’s best museums are free. Skip the scalped synchronized swimming tix, and head to the Tate Modern!
5. Eat at foodhalls and Pret A Manger type cafés and sandwich shops. The foodhalls at department stores like Marks & Spencer are affordable and delish. Get a sandwich and find a green square for a cheap picnic.
6. Travel by Boris Bike! The bike-sharing equivalent of Toronto and Montreal’s Bixi program is affectionately referred to as the Boris Bike in London town, in honour of Mayor Boris Johnson. An Oyster card is necessary for trekking to the city’s furthest reaches, but a Boris Bike is the best way to see the sights.
7. Support the home team by checking out free events and shows organized by the Canadian Consulate.